Saturday, February 7, 2009

normal

as we go through life, we discover "normal". we think others were raised the same way we were. we think that circles of friends function the same as ours. we think others are similar or the same to us, because it's what we have learned as "normal". it feels as though after we find our normal (which is a discovery process all on it's own)... we at some point, then realize that our normal, is abnormal to everyone else. and that we are all unique and distinctly different than our own "normal". some realize this at a very young age... and others, it takes quite a while... but part of growing up and maturing is realizing this concept. but even bigger than that concept is learning to accept, love and embrace those differences as learning experiences and opportunities to cultivate growth. and loving those people because they are different and they have so much to offer to our plate.

i have not always been so good with this. i have learned more recently in my life that differences are the reason this world is so colorful. and so beautiful. as i grow to love, and strengthen the love with the people i am close to, because they are different and i attempt to see things from their "normal" perspective, i am strengthened, i learn, and my mind is opened. my definition of love expands. and the word love means more to me than it did previously. i have learned that part of unconditional love is allowing the people i love to make decisions for themselves, love them and support them. all the time remembering that i would handle a situation differently than them, and their way is not wrong, it's just different.

i want to be a better person. i want to be more compassionate and understand more fully the differences in the people around me. i want to broaden my view of "normal" and allow others "normal" into my mind and heart. i want to learn more about the people i am close to and allow myself to embrace their thoughts, more openly than i have been doing so. i want to open myself up to give more and soak up the amazingness of them!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thats just a wonderful post cuz. Everyones "normal" is different. It made me smile that you put normal in quotes. Me, being in the middle of the disability world, thank you for that. My little cuz is growing up and I couldn't be more proud of her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hey, if you get a second could you show your mom and dad Brooks video. It's on You Tube and my blog. You Tube>type in Signing Time with Brook. There is two of them. I'm so impressed w/ my girl and I want to show Auntie and Uncle :)

    ReplyDelete